10 Things to Know Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHAT QUESTIONS WILL TRUMP FACE AT UNITED NATIONS
The president will have to fend off questions including whether he sought foreign help to damage a political rival, Iran, the uncertain future of Brexit, the U.S. trade war with China and a weakening global economy.
2. BRITISH TOUR COMPANY THOMAS COOK COLLAPSES
The British government said the return of the 178-year-old firm’s 150,000 British customers now stranded in vacation spots across the globe would be the largest repatriation in its peacetime history.
3. SEVERAL KNOCK-YOUR-SOCKS-OFF MOMENTS AT EMMYS
Billy Porter, Michelle Williams and Patricia Arquette offered up inspiring speeches on diversity, equal pay and inclusion on one of Hollywood’s biggest nights.
4. WHO THE UK IS BLAMING FOR ATTACK ON SAUDI OIL FACILITIES
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson says Iran was responsible but that the U.K. would work with allies to “de-escalate” Middle East tensions that have soared since the Sept. 14 attack.
5. WHO HAD HIS EYES ON A DEAL TO REBUILD UN
As Trump visits the United Nations building in New York this week, he won’t be focused solely on the global challenges facing the world body: He’s still reliving the real estate deal there that got away.
6. SCHOOL COLLAPSE IN KENYA’S CAPITAL
At least seven children are dead and more than 50 students have been hospitalized after The Precious Talent Top School in Nairobi collapsed.
7. TENNESSEE ABORTION CLINICS CHALLENGE 48-HOUR WAITING PERIOD
Five of the state’s seven abortion clinics are suing over the law, claiming it violates the U.S. Constitution.
8. EX-DALLAS COP WHO FATALLY SHOT NEIGHBOR DUE IN COURT
Amber Guyger is expected in a city courthouse Monday morning to stand trial in the fatal shooting of 26-year-old Botham Jean last year.
9. WHAT IS AGAIN THREATENING CORAL IN HAWAII
Federal researchers predict another round of hot water in the Pacific will cause some of the worst coral bleaching the region has ever seen.
10. LA RAMS REMAIN UNBEATEN IN WIN OVER CLEVELAND BROWNS
Safety John Johnson III intercepted Baker Mayfield’s fourth-down pass with 27 seconds left as Los Angeles escaped with a 20-13 win Sunday night over the short-handed Cleveland Browns.