Tulsa Man Dead: Victim of Hate Crime

Tulsa Man Dead: Victim of Hate Crime

This Aug. 12, 2016 file photo provided by the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office shows Stanley Majors. Majors has been charged with first-degree murder and committing a hate crime in the killing of his Lebanese neighbor, Khalid Jabara. (Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office via AP, File)

On Wednesday, Aug. 24 a 61-year-old Tulsa man plead not guilty to charges of a hate crime, the first-degree murder of his Lebanese neighbor.

Stanley Majors was charged by prosecutors on Tuesday, Aug. 23 for the Aug. 12 shooting of his neighbor, 37-year-old Khalid Jabara, as well as illegally owning a firearm. Majors was also charged with committing a hate crime and threatening a violent act, which are both misdemeanors under Oklahoma law.

Jabara made his first call to 911 on the evening of Aug. 12 to report that Majors was tapping on the window of his home. The second call was made to report that Majors was firing a gun inside of his own house next door. Police arrived at 6:27 that evening to investigate, but they left at 6:40 stating that Majors wouldn’t open his door and there was nothing they could do.

Eight minutes after the officers left, 911 then received a call from Mounah Jabara, Khalid’s father, stating that his son had been shot. Khalid died in the hospital.

The Jabara family said the shooting follows years of racially motivated harassment from Majors. The Jabaras moved into their Tulsa home 12 years ago, and when Majors moved into the house next door a few years later, the harassment began almost immediately.

The family reported multiple incidents of verbal abuse, claiming that Majors would scream things like “dirty Arabs,” “filthy Lebanese,” “Aye-rabs,” and “Moos-lems.”

The shooting of Jabara also came less than a year after Majors was arrested and put in jail for hitting Haifa Jabara, Kalid’s mother, with his car while she was jogging. This violated the protective order the family had filed against him in 2013 in response to his ongoing threats and harassment.

She spent weeks in the hospital with a broken shoulder, collapsed lung and fractured ribs.

“He came from the back and hit me hard,” Haifa told CNN. “I fell on the floor, bloody—bleeding from my head. A lady was passing by … called 911 and rescued me.”

Police charged Majors with felony assault for this incident, and he was initially to be held in custody without bond until his trial in March. However, three months ago, a judge allowed his release until his trial, although the Tulsa County prosecutors called him “a substantial risk to the public.”

“My family lived in fear of this man and his hatred for years; yet in May, not even one year after he ran over our mother, and despite our repeated protests, he was released from jail with no conditions on his bond—no ankle monitor, no drug/alcohol testing, nothing,” the family said.

Majors’ lawyer, Marvin Lizama, said that he had been in good spirits since his release from jail.

“I don’t know what happened last week that could have changed that,” Lizama told CNN. “Never did I expect Mr. Majors to do something like this. This was unexpected and unfortunate.”

Majors has been appointed a public defender and is currently being held without bail until his preliminary hearing on Oct. 5.

Share This


Disqus ( )